‘First Principal of SMU (SM Universe)’
This is the title recently added to Hong Jonghwa (60), the #1 producer in Korea. SMU is an educational facility established in April by SM Entertainment in collaboration with Jongno Academy and ESteem to transfer knowledge about the K-Star system. Since it is open to people around the world, interest was high even before its launch, and 1,200 applicants flocked to the recently conducted 8-week pilot training, surprising the officials.
The start of the K-pop star training system dates back to 1989. Principal Hong played a significant role in the creation of this system. […] He is currently working as an adjunct professor of Electronic Music Production at the Korea Broadcasting Arts University. I recently met Principal Hong at SMU in Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu, Seoul and asked what was the most important aspects when becoming a Kpop star.
Q: How did you become the principal of SMU?
A : I have been together [with SM] ever since they opened the academy. As an SM advisor, I set up the general direction [of the academy], and it took about a year and a half to set up the facilities, equipment, etc. This building is 521 Apgujeong-dong, building behind the former SM trainees building is also being used as an educational institution.
Q: How do you operate [the academy]?
A : We operate with a capacity of 60 staffs. The official curriculum hasn’t started yet, and the pilot course has been offered free of charge for 8 weeks from the beginning of May. Graduates from Seoul Institute of the Arts and Dong-A Broadcasting Arts University are full-time teachers and also give special lectures.
1. Treat your current idols better instead
2. Ah stop it already
3. So they didn’t call it the Kwangya school
4. But it indeed has its own good… They can teach babies… And babies are able to gain opportunities through this
> I’m envious, it must be fun
> As a grandma who is old, I’m indeed jealous… Seriously how can I ever have such opportunities?
5. Give my bias a comeback instead
6. Hul, this would be such a good experience for kids
7. What an academy with a load of crap…ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ
8. Me too I want to learn ㅋㅋㅋ
9. Freaking hilarious
10. No matter how much interest kids have towards this, I just feel like they’re just trying to get a quick cash grab from making those curriculum(?)
They should’ve used this for a touristic system instead